Sunday, August 1, 2010

Peachy Keen Workshop


This last week I had the opportunity to take a still life workshop with Pat Kelly, one of my favorite area artists. Pat first came to my notice about 10 years ago. We were living in Charlotte, NC at the time and really missing San Diego. While visiting San Diego (for Katy's first birthday) I walked into a gallery in La Jolla, saw a painting of Eucalyptus trees, and fell in love. The artist was Pat Kelly. I didn't get to meet her at the time, but did buy the painting (over the phone). "Summer on our Street" has had pride of place in our home ever since.

So---when the opportunity to take a week long workshop from Pat arose, I jumped at it. Still life is considered the "work horse" of learning to paint. It offers a somewhat controlled painting experience: you get to choose the subject matter and how it is arranged and lit. And, unlike a model, it won't move (unless it's flowers). And, unlike plein air, the light won't change dramatically in a short period of time. But is it painting from life, from the real thing. Very important.

Despite the long drive to and from San Diego each day, it was a great experience. I learned a lot, had fun, and painted like crazy. After spending the first day warming up with a couple of small studies, we settled in to work on a large canvas. Pat's set ups were luscious, elegant and colorful. It was difficult to choose just one! I did though, and finished a large (20 X 24) painting of peaches and Fiesta ware. I call it "Al Fresco".

No comments:

Post a Comment