Saturday, March 6, 2010

Big Sky Country


Montana may claim to be the official Big Sky Country, but in reality, all of the west deserves this title. Even in western Kansas, where I was born and raised, the sky is the dominant feature of the landscape. And it is ever changing and often dramatic: a huge expanse of blue will give way to enormous thunder clouds or to a magnificent sunset.

When we were "in exile" from the West in Carolina, while I loved the towering trees, I often found myself wanting to push them aside so that I could see the far off horizon and more of the sky. I sorely missed that.

Now when I set out to paint a landscape, I often find the sky the most compelling feature of the composition. That was certainly true of this painting. I'm not sure what to call it. Any ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment