Thursday, October 8, 2009

JAM Today??

A few inquiring minds want to know where JAM Today came from.  Well, there are a couple of answers to that question.  JAM, if you use my maiden name, Arensdorf, as my middle name,  are my initials.  I hope that Today evokes the idea of being contemporary.

But the reference actually comes from Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland."  When Alice was experiencing (I almost said enjoying, but not sure that is quite accurate) the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, she asked for some jam.  "Oh no," replied the March Hare, "You may have jam yesterday and you may have jam tomorrow, but you may never have jam today."

Well, pooh!  I don't like that idea at all.  While the past is part of our lives, with wonderful memories and a few regrets, yesterday is gone.  Let it go.  While we need to plan for the future and our hopes and dreams, tomorrow isn't here yet.  Let's not worry about it unduly.  Let's live in the present.  Let's have jam today!

It has actually taken me a long time to fully embrace that philosophy, but I do think it's a good one; I still have a tendency to worry and to procrastinate, so JAM Today is a reminder.  And I need it, there is that yoga class I keep meaning to take....

Speaking of Tea Parties, here is a painting of Clare enjoying her first High Tea at Four Season's Aviara:



The next two photos are the two I used in combination for reference for the painting of Clare





Here's a painting of another cute little girl is a big hat:





1 comment:

  1. Very gorgeous paintings.You have great talent for this art.It is hard to find that the painting is photo or not.

    sd karte

    ReplyDelete